Interactive Brokers is a safe online broker known for its Trader’s Workstation platform, zero commission trades, great variety of trading tools and leading pricing for professionals. We recommend it to casual investors and advanced traders.
|Broker Name||Interactive Brokers|
|Regulation||SEC in the US, FCA in the UK’s|
|Countries of regulation||UK, USA, India, Australia, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong|
|Tradable Assets||Stock, ETF, Forex, Fund, Bond, Options, Futures, CFD, Crypto, Warrants, Structured Products|
|Deposits||ACH, Check, Online bill payment, Direct Rollover (IRA accounts only)|
Interactive Brokers UAE is the best online broker for international trading, day trading, mobile trading, options trading, futures trading and professional trading. They offer users access to global investment options including stocks, options, futures, and bonds across 125 markets in 31 currencies. IBKR gives advanced traders access to the lowest margin and commission rates among other brokers and the industry leading Traders Workstation platform. Although they lack in beginners trading features, they continue to invest in more starter-friendly products, educational resources and features like their ‘Client Portal’.
Founded in 1978 by Thomas Peterffy, who is an American Stock Exchange (AMEX) seat holder, Interactive Brokers today serves 125 countries through 24 global offices. The companies’ base is Greenwich, CT and is listed on the NASDAQ 400 Index.
1. Fees and Spreads
Interactive Brokers fee structure is complex. There are dozens of trading options/fees. These depend on the instrument traded, amount and account type. There are three types of commissions for trading U.S. equities. IBKR offer two main pricing plans:
- IBKR Pro (for professional investors)
- IBKR Lite (for more casual investors)
IBKR primarily serves professional traders and large institutional investors (hedge funds and other highly leveraged, fast-moving trading groups). Their fee structure delivers the lowest possible commission schedule to this key clientele. In recent years they have developed tools to also assist the more casual trader and investor.
IBKR Lite Fees
- No inactivity or data fees
- All US stock and ETF trades cost $0
- Options trades follow normal IBKR Pro pricing
- IBKR Lite has a lower order execution quality
With IBKR Lite, they make money off order flow. The product is designed for the casual investor.
IBKR Pro Fees
Standard fixed price US stock trades per trade value are:
- $.005 per share
- minimum cost $1.00
- maximum cost 0.5%
For order sizes of several hundred shares, IBKR is a fantastic bargain. If though you trade several thousand or hundreds of thousands of shares, they quickly become expensive. The tiered pricing option starts at $.0035 per share. IBKR Pro is not a good choice for trading large share lots of penny stocks.
IBKR Pro Options
IBKR offers a tiered commission option for US exchange contracts using SMART routing.
- Premiums > $.10 equals $.65 per contract with a $1.00 minimum and no maximum.
- Premiums between $.05 and $.10, the rate is $.50 per contract.
- Premiums < $.05, the rate is $.25 per contract.
Other IBKR Pro Benefits
IBKR does not accept payment for order flow, a key element in quality order execution. IBKR has the industry’s lowest margin rates. These vary from 1.55% to 0.75% for clients with more than $1 million traded with the firm.
IBKR Pro Non-Trading Fees:
For new or casual traders, the minimums and fees are high. To avoid them a trader needs to maintain a $100,000 balance or spend at least $30 in monthly commissions. Charges for inactivity reach up to $20 per month. For everyday investors, we recommend IBKR Lite.
IBKR pricing summary chart:
|Stock Trade Fee (per trade)||$0|
|Options Base Fee||$0|
|Options Per Contract Fee||$0.65|
|Mutual Fund Trade Fee||$14.95|
|Broker Assisted Trades Fee||$30.00|
|ETF Trade Fee||$0.005|
2. Deposits and Withdrawals
Depositing and withdrawing on Interactive Brokers is fast end simple. They are easing their on-boarding process. The trader must e-sign numerous forms to get an account functioning. Most features are available to use as soon as an account opens.
Traders can open an account without making a deposit. They must fund it within 90-days of opening or IBKR will close it. The minimum deposit to open an account is $100. A $110,000 minimum is required to open a portfolio margin account.
There is no charge for the first withdrawal (of any kind) in a calendar month. IBKR does charge withdrawal fees for each subsequent withdrawal. IBKR supports the following withdrawal requests:
- Wire transfer
- US ACH transfer (US accounts only)
- Check (only for US currency and a US mailing address)
- Canadian EFT transfer (Canadian accounts only)
- SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area) Initiated at IB
- BACS (GBP withdrawals only)
- GIRO/ACH (available for HKD, CNH, and SGD)
- NZD ACH (available for NZD withdrawals only)
Accounts not in the IBKR Secure Login System have a limit in withdrawal amount. Account-holders not using a security device have limited daily withdrawal of $50,000. Unsecured accounts may only withdraw up to $100,000 over five-business days. All withdrawals are sent in the name of the account holder.
3. Markets and Products
Interactive Brokers offers its users to trade a wide range of products including stocks, options, futures, and bonds across 125 markets in 31 currencies. They add new products based on customer demand.
IBKR offers 26,000 global funds from 285+ fund families including Bitcoin futures trading. Investors can trade every asset class on their Mosaic and TWS desktops. Lite Account Client Portal users must switch to TWS to execute international trades. Investors can trade the following:
- Stocks long and short
- OTCBB (penny stocks)
- Mutual funds (IB is the world’s largest mutual fund marketplace)
- Bonds: corporate, municipal, treasury, CDs and international
- Single leg and multi-leg options (up to 8 legs)
- Futures and futures options
- 135 International exchanges are connected. They trading stocks, options, futures, forex, bonds, funds, and CFDs
- Forex (23 currencies, 115 trading pairs)
- Fractional share trading of US stocks (NYSE, AMEX, NASDAQ, ARCA, or BATS, as well as OTC)
- Pink U.S. penny stocks (with average daily volume above $10 million and market cap above $400 million. Non-U.S. stocks not currently available for fractional shares trading)
- IPOs, warrants and single stock futures
IBKR Robo-advisory and interactive advisors are integrated into the website and mobile app.
4. Trading Tools and Charts
Interactive Brokers technical tools let traders create flexible order types on TWS, Client Portal and Mobile app.
- Conditional Orders based on: price, volume, daily P&L, margin cushion, number of shortable shares and rebate from the trading venue.
- Portfolio Builder creates a tailored strategy to construct a portfolio of stocks.
- Share and Dollar lots for any asset class.
- Tax Optimizer selects tax lot defaults to maximize several factors.
- Portfolio Analyst helps casual investors analyze their holdings and consolidate accounts
- Portfolio Checker lets traders assess portfolio health. Compares performance to 200 global benchmarks and evaluates risk measures.
- Trader’s Journal is a note-taking feature to record/save trading notes/ideas on any product.
- Impact dashboard traders can gather investment criteria from 13 impact values and principles. These include: Clean Air, Pure Water, Ocean Life, Land Health, Consumer Safety, Ethical Leadership, Gender Equality, Racial Equality, LGBTQ Inclusion, Company Transparency, Sustainable Product Lifecycle, Mindful Business Models, Fair Labour & Thriving Communities.
IBKR charting is interactive. Traders can choose 100+ predefined indicators or create their own. Traders can toggle and zoom between 15-time frames. They can trade from their charts. The platform’s advanced settings help integrate trading systems and build custom dashboards.
5. Regulation and Reputation
Interactive Brokers is a publicly traded company. It is regulated and monitored by the US SEC and global authorities. They have a global client reach. IBKR has an above-average commitment to security. They meet or exceed industry standards. Security precautions include:
- Mobile app users can log in with biometric (face or fingerprint) recognition.
- Many forms of two-factor authentication.
- Mobile Key, their mobile app for two-factor authentication. It supports fingerprint and PIN verification.
- IB carries excess SIPC insurance provided by Lloyd’s of London. Each account is covered for $150 million. Clients with full SIPC protection, Lloyd’s provides an extra $30 million in coverage. This includes $900,000 in cash. All accounts are subject to a total limit of $150 million.
- IB’s Bank Deposit sweep program helps clients supplement existing SIPC coverage. They can get $2,500,000 of FDIC Insurance on eligible cash balances.
6. Trading Platform
Interactive Brokers are global leaders in trading technology. Their tools help investors to trade, to access client forums, conduct market overviews and analyze portfolios. Their investment and web trading platform tools are user-friendly and customizable. All platforms offer streaming data that is continuously updated. IBKR also routes to several venues using a new order type called Mid-Price Order. This is a floating order which adjusts to market movements.
IBKR’s flagship platform is the Trader Workstation (TWS). This desktop-based program is highly customizable and supports global assets trading of all kinds. TWS is designed for the more seasoned, professional investors and ranks among the best trading platforms in the industry.
Professional tools: Seasoned trader tools include: Portfolio Builder, Options Strategy Lab, Algo Trading, Risk Navigator, Strategy Builder, Market Scanner, and Volatility Lab. Traders can create extensive watch lists on equities, individual options contracts, futures, forex, warrants, CFDs and more. There are a staggering 494 data points traders can use for column customization.
IBot: IBKR’s predictive AI tool quickly handles customer requests and portfolio information. IBot handles orders, quotes and more. Its chat feature finds analytic tools and advanced order types. Users query directly via voice or typed commands: “What’s the last price of GOOG?” or “Chart AAPL vs. MSFT” or “Buy 100 shares of FB.” IBot remembers and keeps links to your frequently used tools. It is available in TWS mobile and can be accessed by voice in the iPhone app.
TWS positives: Traders can enter orders from inside the matrix display or any TWS graph. Advanced algorithms help traders place large orders and access any market. IBKR intelligent order routers identifies price improvements, maximizes possible rebates, and achieve optimal execution. The TWS Mosaic interface lets traders arrange tools like building blocks to form a custom work/trading space.
TWS drawbacks: TWS follows a vast number of securities available. If you type in “AAPL” for Apple Computer, thousands of possible matches appear which overwhelm non-professional traders. Several automated analysis tools (like Recognia) and newsfeeds are only available as paid subscription add-ons.
Client Portal: For less experienced traders, IB offers website-based Client Portal platform. This includes core features to trade and manage a basic portfolio. Client Portal is the primary trading experience for IBKR Lite customers. It is less robust, but easier to use. It was introduced in late 2019 and continues to be a major area of focus for IB to attract retail traders and shows signs of improvement. Lite customers can enter free orders using any platform or mobile apps except IBKR Mobile Web.
Charting: IBKR’s charting is interactive. Traders can see 100+ predefined indicators. Traders can toggle and zoom between 15-time frames. They can trade from their charts. The platform’s advanced settings help integrate trading systems and build custom dashboards.
Interactive Brokers UAE mobile app has most of the web functionality and is supported on all devices. It is not nearly as extensive as the TWS desktop or Client Portal platforms. All the asset classes can be traded on the mobile app. The mobile app gives traders an overview of their account. They can add/withdraw funds, view trade history, create watchlists, access news and view charts. Mobile watchlists are shared with TWS and Client Platform. Data streams in real-time.
7. Customer Support
IBKR has a reputation for lackluster customer service. This is an area they’ve worked hard to improve.
Their telephone support system irritates. The digital assistant iBot is helpful on mobile devices. It integrates voice commands. It is powered by an AI engine that answers questions in plain English. IBot is available across the website and trading platforms. Their customer service includes 24-hour weekday phone line with call back service, Online chat with a live human agent, Secure message center, AI-powered iBot sends customers to online FAQs and resources.
In May 2020, IBKR launched its Securities Class Action Recovery solution. The automated service removes administrative burdens of joining securities class action lawsuits. It examines your positions and automatically detects filing eligibility. The service can submit claim filings to administrators to recover compensation. Court-awarded amounts are deposited into your account.
8. Education and research
Interactive Brokers is a market leader in research and education. They provide a wide range of investor education programs.
IBKR Traders Academy has a structured, rigorous curriculum. It is intended for financial professionals, investors, educators, and students. It helps them seek a better understanding of asset classes, markets, currencies, tools and functionality available on IBKR platforms. There are 45+ courses available to traders additional to quizzes and tests benchmark progress against learning objectives. The website includes a trading glossary, a FAQ section and daily expert webinars. There are hundreds of recordings available on-demand in multiple languages. IBKR allows investors to download a demo version of Traders Workstation which allows them to learn its intricacies and practice placing complex trades.
IBKR Fundamentals Explorer combines research from Refinitiv and TipRanks. These offer deep fundamental research for every covered stock. In-depth mutual fund data from Lipper is presented in a similar format. Hovering over a field shows more information and peer comparisons. Premium research has an additional cost. IBKR’s Trader’ Insight blog covers different topics including: outlooks for US, Asia-Pacific, Europe, and various market sectors.
IBKR Quants blog is available to traders who create their own algorithms.
Interactive Brokers Dubai
Interactive Brokers is regulated by top tier regulators and is available to customers in UAE and Dubai. They have one office in UAE responsible for all customers from the GCC. Interactive Brokers users from Dubai are able to use all trading features, education materials and online support in Arabic language.
Interactive Brokers is a great online broker for professional traders based on its Trader’s Workstation platform, zero commission trades, 70 optional order types and over 137 global assets to trade. The Client Portal web platform, extensive educational material, Traders Academy and $0 ETF and stock trades makes them a great broker for beginners as well.
Their news feed and research tools are second to none. IBKR is the natural next step for those who may have outgrown their current broker’s offerings. It is ideal for those looking to apply more complex strategies.
We recommend IBKR to both, casual investors and advanced traders.
Interactive Brokers compared to other brokers:
- Interactive Brokers vs AVAtrade
- Interactive Brokers vs Pepperstone
- Interactive Brokers vs TD Ameritrade
- Interactive Brokers vs XTB
- Interactive Brokers vs XM
- Interactive Brokers vs Moneta Markets
- Interactive Brokers vs Fxpro
- Interactive Brokers vs FP Markets
- Interactive Brokers vs Eightcap
- Interactive Brokers vs City Index
- Interactive Brokers vs IG
- Interactive Brokers vs Tickmill
- Interactive Brokers vs CMC Markets
- Interactive Brokers vs Forex.com
- Interactive Brokers vs Swissquote
- Interactive Brokers vs VT Markets
- Interactive Brokers vs HYCM
- Interactive Brokers VS Vantage FX
- Interactive Brokers vs OandA
- Interactive Brokers vs IC Markets
- Interactive Brokers vs FXCM
- Interactive Brokers Review
- Interactive Brokers Fees Explained
- Interactive Brokers Minimum Deposit
- Interactive Brokers Account Opening
- Interactive Brokers App
- Interactive Brokers Customer Service
- Is Interactive Brokers a Legitimate Broker?
- Is Interactive Brokers Free?
- Is Interactive Brokers Good For Beginners?
- How to Buy/Sell Silver At Interactive Brokers
- Can You Trade Options At Interactive Brokers?
The mission of Business24-7 is to provide comprehensive, unbiased ratings and reviews of online providers. User experience, the mobile experience, customer service, costs and fees, security, the quality of trade executions, the products available on their platforms are all part of our six-month evaluation of a providers’s platform. The rating scale was based on thousands of data points that have been weighted into the scoring system.
Providers were also required to fill out a multi-point survey regarding every aspect of their platform. In-person demonstrations and evaluations were provided by the majority of the online providers we reviewed.
Stefan Grasic, along with our team of industry experts, conducted our reviews and developed this methodology for ranking what form is used in online investing.
Business24-7 maintains high editorial standards and provides the best advice and recommendations. The products and companies that we review may compensate us when you click on the links on this website.
- 1 1. Fees and Spreads
- 2 2. Deposits and Withdrawals
- 3 3. Markets and Products
- 4 4. Trading Tools and Charts
- 5 5. Regulation and Reputation
- 6 6. Trading Platform
- 7 7. Customer Support
- 8 8. Education and research
- 9 Interactive Brokers Dubai
- 10 Conclusion